The topic of manicures always seems like it’s straightforward when in reality, there are many things to consider. For some people, a basic manicure is good enough.
Others prefer to dive into the ocean of options presented before them. Before deciding on what you think is right for you, it is important to know about some of these options.
Once, acrylics were all the rage and we couldn’t get enough of them. Now, there are solar nails that have become widely popular in recent years.
The Manicure Options
While we know that there are so many nail types in the market, in this article, we will be focusing only on the two mentioned earlier.
Solar nails are a type of acrylic manufactured by Creative Nail Design (CND). They come in pink and white colors, similar to that French manicure.
Acrylic nails are made from a combination of a liquid monomer and powder polymer. I know you’re not interested in a chemistry lesson, so I’ll skip to the fun part.
That mixture is used to create a hard layer over your natural nails or molded on an attached false nail.
The nail hardens as it dries, so you are left with a tough and protective covering for your natural nails. It is safer to get your acrylic nails from an experienced nail technician.
While acrylic nails are a great option for those who love to be bad and bougie, a lot of work goes into them; from the application through the maintenance to the removal.
Acrylic nails are one of the more expensive options in the salon. Expect to drop around $50 for a fresh set of nails although it may be higher or lower, depending on the place and difficulty of the design.
They need to be filled every two to three weeks, and with this regular maintenance, you can keep your nails for as long as two months.
What are the Pros of Acrylic Nails?
- Acrylic nails are tough and robust, giving them the strength to withstand any pressure or force.
- If taken care of and maintained properly, a set will last for a long time.
- They are easy to remove even by yourself. All you need is some acetone.
- A new set of acrylic nails provides a kind of fresh canvas for you to bring your inner artist to life. You can go ahead to create any kind of design with any nail color.
What are the Cons of Acrylic Nails?
- They look less natural than solar nails and if they are applied incorrectly, the results could be disastrous.
- The whole application process is time-consuming and expensive, especially when you’re coming back for refills to maintain your manicure.
- Acrylic nails are quite rigid, so they may break off if you hit your hand against any hard surface with force. This will cause some kind of trauma to your nail bed.
- The chemicals used in making acrylic nails can be harmful to the health of some people.
- Overall, acrylics can leave long-lasting damage to your nail beds.
Solar nails are one of the more recent nail care options. They are a kind of acrylic, but they are not nail extensions.
Solar nails are applied directly to the natural nails, so they also form a protective covering for them. They are very strong and do not break under the slightest pressure.
They can last for three weeks after application and will begin to fall off if there is no fill-in done.
What are the Pros of Solar Nails?
- A properly applied solar manicure will look so similar to natural nails, so they are more natural-looking than regular acrylics.
- They have a flawless, finished look and are simple enough to maintain.
- Solar nails are strong and last longer than acrylic nails.
- They do not have such a damaging effect on natural nails.
What are the Cons of Solar Nails?
- This nail type has a very limited supply because it is produced by only one company.
- Solar nail kits only come in two colors, so you are somewhat limited in your design options.
- Sometimes, they might be susceptible to fungal and bacterial infections.
For many good reasons, you should not use any trending nail type before doing background research. I hope this article was helpful to you.
Acrylic Vs Solar Nails FAQs
Are acrylics or solar nails better?
When it comes to quality, solar nails are better than acrylics. They do not break, crack, chip, or change color so easily when exposed to sunlight, unlike acrylics.
Do acrylics fall off?
With the right care, acrylics will last two to three weeks after which they’ll start to grow out with your natural nails.
When they are not maintained and kept under good conditions, your acrylics can lift, chip, peel, and remove sooner than two weeks.
Are solar nails acrylic?
Solar nails are a type of acrylic, which is a mixture of a powder and liquid monomer. When this mixture is applied to your nails, it begins to harden seconds after it has been exposed to air.